SCOM 2007 R2 Notifications using Authenicated SMTP

Here's how I got authenticated SMTP working for our environment.  This is pretty useful if you need to send external mails.

My Kit:

System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 CU5
Exchange Server 2010 SP1 RU6

  1. Make/choose an AD account with an email address which will send your notifications.
  2. In Ops Manager create a Windows Account using the credentials created above.
  3. Assign these credentials to the Notifications Account Run As Profile.
  4. Set up a channel to use authenticated SMTP using the email address of the account used in step 1.
  5. If you want/need create an Exchange Receive Connector with Windows Authentication and Exchange Users permissions group.
  6. Test and enjoy.
This is pretty simple really but took me a while to figure out as I failed to see that my Notification Account didn't have the email address I set as the Return Address in the Notification Channel wizard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PXE booting, MDT and 802.1x

Intune installation requires a wire...or does it?

Security Policy 1001