FTP SSL and User Isolation all at once...

For a while now I've had a nice FTP server running on IIS 7 with User Isolation setup so that sub folders of LocalUser are isolated per user. Nice little feature.

We recently had a third party require FTP access. "Easy" I thought and made a new account and folder on the FTP server and gave the third party the details. Fine they said, although this isn't SSL. 

Ah said I. And simply put our wildcard cert on the server and enabled SSL binding the added cert. Nope, things looked ok from my FileZilla client however directory listings were failing when using SSL.

I was using explicit mode and I was able to connect and log into the FTP site but getting my home folder always failed with a timeout. After A LOT of messing around and Googling. I found this page...

http://geekswithblogs.net/QuandaryPhase/archive/2013/01/29/configuring-ftp-over-tls-in-iis-with-user-isolation.aspx

Which says you can do what I want!

This was the only page I found which actually was trying to do this!

What I found was that by starting all over again and enabling SSL in the FTP Site Wizard at the get go, things worked flawlessly.

I've no idea why my original FTP site was unable to work - I just made a new FTP site on a different port, this time with SSL enabled using the wizard, pointed this new FTP site at my old folders and once created I enabled FTP User Isolation.

 I tested both SSL and plain FTP to the new site. Both worked as expected. Then stopped the old site and change the port of the new.

Go figure.

It must be that something was one my old FTP site which just refused to work or that enabling SSL BEFORE enabling User Isolation is the way to go. Either way I thought you might like to know. #

Have a good weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PXE booting, MDT and 802.1x

Intune installation requires a wire...or does it?

Powershell VPN connections - PEAP with MSCHAPv2