SCCM Server build not building onto C drive?

I've recently come into contact with SCCM.

I love it.

I also love MDT.  So I was pleased to see that they are tightly integrated!  Hoorah!

I set about creating an MDT build task within SCCM, easy right?

Well...yes. Initially.

Err you can't PXE boot to MDT and SCCM.  Unless you follow this website.  Awesome!

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2011/09/07/co-existing-pxe-boot-for-mdt-standalone-image-capture-amp-configmgr-image-deployment-environments.aspx


Once I'd got MDT responding to MDT known computers I got the MDT server 2012 build working and was able to get a captured image.  Straight forward an no different to the hundreds of MDT tasks I've set up before.

I then had some learning to get this MDT capture into SCCM.  First there was the requirement for an MDT package...This turns out to be the entire MDT deployment point folder structure - including all the scripts.  Far enough.  Then I needed an MDT configuration, this turns out to be the bootstrap.ini and customsettings.ini stuck in a folder.  Simple.

Ok so now I had completed the SCCM wizard to add an MDT task so now I ran into the whole deploy/distribute trail and error (ok my fault I didn't know what I was doing here!)...Once I had this sorted, I also fixed a few issues with the SCCM installation on the way, I had an SCCM MDT task sequence ready to deploy my MDT captured MDT build.  Phew.  I deployed to all unknown computers and distributed to all locations.  Sorted.

Ok so first (third?) hurdle was that my build was not showing in my VM when I PXE booted.  This led me to realise that you need to select deploy to the Media and PXE...again once I had this I could see my build and things were go!

I then noticed that the SCCM build was taking a lot longer than the MDT and on closer inspection I saw that the SCCM build was downloading a lot of files...I then realised that in my attempt to save on disk space had caused the issue.

I had used the MDT Package as my MDT Distribution point and SCCM was duly copying all the files from the MDT Package to the  target computer.  Not a good idea as this consisted of about three OS images totally 11GB!  Whoops.

So once that was sorted out - I attached a new disk and moved the MDT Distribution point to it and created a nice clean MDT package by recreating the MDT task sequence.  There may be a faster way to have done this but I like repeating stuff when I am learning to cement the concept.

Ok so now I am building machines using SCCM but things are still not quite right as the build is giving me a D drive as the OS disk - finally I get to the point!

Annoyingly I found this straight away but due to the vast amount of websites which cited the
OSDPreserveDriveLetter = False method I spent a fruitless couple of hours wandering around this topic.

My issue was not that the build had the incorrect drive assignment - I had used an MDT capture after all!  The issue was that the task sequence has a slight bug?  Where the disks are formatted under the New Computer Only section the Format and Partition Disk 6.1 task creates two disks and by default assigns a drive letter to both.  The first drive is the BDEDrive and the second drive is the OSDisk drive and uses the variable OSDisk.

This resulted in the OSDisk being assigned the D letter.  So I within the task I selected the volume BDEDrive and the clicked the edit button (the one between the sun button and the cross button) from the resulting page it is possible to choose that no drive letter be assigned.

Job done.

Like I mentioned I noticed this pretty much straight away as being odd but was dragged off topic by other blogs!  Damn blogs!

errrr...oh.  Have a good week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PXE booting, MDT and 802.1x

Intune installation requires a wire...or does it?

Security Policy 1001